Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Storms...

Last night storms passed through our state (Arkansas) in the form of tornados and flooding. A community (Vilonia) just 30 minutes up the road from us experienced a possible F2 or F3 tornado. In the northwestern part of the state several lost their lives to flood waters. These same storms continued across the country to bring destruction to other communities and lives as well. Tonight (Tuesday) it is said that we are to have a continuation of these storms.
Isn’t that just like life? Storms hit us out of nowhere. Last week I shared with you a storm from my life…the storm itself passed and all is back to normal again. Well, except for me. I have learned over time that God really does do a work in us through the storms if we will allow Him and it will be for His Glory and our spiritual maturity.

It seems like many of the children of God are experiencing major storms and trials in their lives all around us today. Take heart that HE knows us so well and knew we would need His Word to walk on for our sure footing! These are the stones He used in my life this past week to encourage me to keep walking! These two verses James 1:2 and 1 Peter 4:12. I like the two renditions below.

ESV James 1:2
2 Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial (storms), for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

The Message Bible James 1:2
2 Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. 3You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. 4So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.

ESV 1 Peter 4:12
12 Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.

The Message Bible 1 Peter 4:12
12 Friends, when life gets really difficult, don’t jump to the conclusion that God isn’t on the job. 13Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner.

Tomorrow is the deadline for our Costa Rica Team coming together! Please pray as a few people are still in the valley of decision! I am so excited about the team God has brought together for this trip. Every time He just hits it on the mark! Imagine that!

Starting next week we will be in the “get down to business” stage for this trip. I will be making you aware of prayer requests and what you can do to be involved in this trip besides giving. We always need the finances to start coming in for the women at this time. However, there are some other things that I want to encourage you to do that I have not done before. I’m looking for it to be incredible because I believe only God could put this stuff on my heart! If you knew me you would understand that because I do not have much of a creative bone in my body! Some would say not even ONE! Ha,ha,ha. But I do try to have a tender ear to the LORD and His direction!
This week please pray for the final team members to come on board and then for all the details that will start up within the next week and forward!
Costa Rica……Here we come!!!!!

His,
Vickie

P.S. Keep Walking my friends!!!!!! Remember; don’t jump to the conclusion that God isn’t on the job!

1 comment:

Jenny Stedman said...

What a great time to post about "storms" right before the Costa Rica team is finalized! As a past team member, I can bear witness to the fact that God allowed some of the worse storms of my life to come in the few months leading up to the Pure Joy retreat I attended. As I look back now, I realize that He was maturing and refining me in an intense way so that I would be ready to minister to the missionaries on the field.

For those on the Costa Rica team and the missionaries on the retreat, I have been lifting up prayers about the storms you are about to encounter. The enemy wants those storms to make God's soldiers ineffective, but God has a much greater plan prepared for us!