Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Sometimes you just have to laugh…

 

So, last night I was told by my 10-year-old great nephew you never listen to me. First, let’s discuss that word never which is considered an exaggerated word.  However, it does seem to make children and adults wear it like some form of empowerment badge to get a point across along with the words always and forever. Stop and think about how many times you use those words in a sentence with your spouse, kids and family and it will make you laugh.

Before I go any further let me clarify something very important that is difficult for all of us to sort out at times.  The difference between the word hears and listen. To hear is to physically experience the sense of sound.  As one’s ear and brain are capable of processing sound waves, one can hear.  To listen is to deliberately apply the ability to hear.  One who listens is thinking about what is heard, what it means, how to respond, and whether to continue to listen/pay attention.

Now, back to the scene from last night. (smile) My great nephew was trying to convince me to allow him to stay up later because he has been home sick with strep throat and can’t go to school.  I explained to him that because he has been sick he really needs the rest. I don’t need to tell you how he felt about that. Ha,ha,ha, I did allow for some extra time beyond his normal school bedtime, which of course was not enough.  Thus, the rant of you never listen to me. I thought, hey this is a good opportunity to plant a little seed of wisdom in his heart.  I said, May I share something with you? He conceded even though he didn’t want to listen. Ha,ha,ha   I said, I hear you and I’m listening to you. What I’m not doing is agreeing with you. So, just because I don’t agree with you doesn’t mean I’m not listening. Well, I left the room with him continuing to say you are not listening to me.  Knowing that seed probably isn’t going to take root. Ha, ha, ha

But this morning as I thought back over our interaction I almost had to laugh out loud.  Heck, we live in a society today that functions in that same mentality.  If I don’t agree with you or see it the same way you do, then supposedly I am not listening, narrow minded, judgmental, critical, mean and an awful person.  Be prepared to be told those things more and more in the days ahead as we await HIS coming. Because if you choose to stand for Truth that means you are out of the majority and in the boat of the minority. There are going to be many more things we don’t agree with in the future!

So, maybe the next time someone tells you “you’re not listening” consider if that is true or is it that you just don’t agree with them. 

His,

Vickie

 

P.S. We have seven spots still open for the Portugal 2023 Retreat.  Make sure to let your overseas missionary women know about it.  Go to www.purejoyinternational.org  click on Here on that page and get more information and the registration form. Dates are April 26-29, 2023


No comments: