Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The difference a mountain can make...

This past weekend the Pure Joy Board and Staff met for our annual retreat. It was a time we could pull away and evaluate the ministry and ourselves and make sure we had not moved away from His plans for Pure Joy International. It was also a time of reflection for us as board members and ministry staff to make sure we are following Jesus in our service to Him.

The retreat was held not far from Scotland, AR or Clinton, AR depending on how you want to look at it. But no matter how you look at it, we were imbedded in a cabin on top of a mountain that, had it not been for the fog, would have allowed us to see forever and ever. Fog is an interesting thing, isn’t it! It comes in density levels. It can be so thick you can only see what is right in front of you or it can come in such a way that you can see for a distance but not necessarily clearly. Unless the fog disperses itself, the only way to get out of it is to rise above it. I know I am going out on a limb here, but I am comfortable in saying that most people live in a fog. The density levels might be different but they are in a fog. And most people are not living above the fog…they have just learned to live with it to get some relief. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been there. And this I know: if we would discipline ourselves to go to the top of the mountain more frequently, I suspect we would rise above our circumstances (fog) more often. Rising above doesn’t mean they go away, because you can’t control other people (and most circumstances do have to do with others). It just means you have gotten away from it all to ‘be reminded’ of Who is in control and Who allows you to breathe, regroup, focus, and replenish for the journey of life. So, if you haven’t done it lately, go to the top of the mountain and wait and watch. Things may not clear up down below, but you sure get reminded that you are not alone!

This past Monday night I had the privilege of meeting with a ladies’ Sunday School class from First Baptist Church, Conway AR. We actually met in the home of John and Joyce Magyar, a couple who served as missionaries in Cali, Colombia for 35 years before returning to the Conway area. I don’t believe I have had a more appropriate introduction to a group than I received last night as Kim, their daughter, introduced me to the group of ladies by stating, “This is Vickie and the reason I like her ministry is…as a missionary kid (MK) I saw my mom working alongside my dad in ministry while raising 6 kids, ministering to the local women, and doing many other things. I wish she would have had something like this to pull away from it all and get refreshed and renewed.” As I listened to Kim’s introduction as she sat next to her mom, my heart leapt again as it often does when I think of God’s faithfulness to make provision for those He has called to the front lines and to leave their families and friends in service to Him. I look forward to watching His hand among these ladies who have stated a desire to join us in some fashion in the days ahead.

If you are thinking, “WOW, Vic has had some kind of awesome time with the LORD the last four days!” that would be a right answer!

Details are coming together for the Dominican Republic trip. We should have the location settled by end of this week or first part of next. Then registration for the missionary women will open. If you have been to a Pure Joy Retreat and know ladies in this area or countries close by, pay it forward by letting them know. Also, we are still putting the team together, so please prayerfully seek God in this if you are interested and/or your church is interested in being a part of this trip.

As always, love you all!

His,
Vickie

No comments: