Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Just a Little humor...

On Sunday my mom received a phone call from Pastor Steve, a friend of mine from Round Rock, TX.  He explained to my mom that he was trying to reach me suspecting I had already left for church, but he thought he would just try the house.  He went on to tell my mom that He and his wife and daughter were driving back from the University of Texas/Missouri game when just outside of Leslie, Arkansas he hit a bear on the road.  My mom said, "You mean a deer."  He said, "No I mean a bear."  She said, "A bear?"  "Yes, a B.E.A.R., bear"! he replied.  Understand it was natural for my mom to think she heard him wrong because we are in deer season around here, and the best chance of getting a deer is not in the woods this season.  It appears your best chances are to just take a drive and your cleaning knife. Ha,ha,ha!

My mom then instead of going to church actually was the church by getting in her car and going after the pastor, his wife and daughter and bringing them back to our home. (Their car will be in the repair shop for some time.)   I was very surprised to walk in from church and find Pastor Steve, Karen, and Laruen sitting in our living room. It was great to see them even though I suspect they would have liked it to be under different circumstances.  We took them to our family lunch at my Aunt Myrna’s and then on to Little Rock, AR. to a rental car facility to get them back to Longview, TX and then on to Round Rock, TX. 

Of course, Pastor Steve likes to add a little humor to all that happened to them from hitting the bear to the local authorities, to the Arkansas Wildlife Management that had to be called, to the toll truck driver, to the local man that showed up to make sure that we didn’t forget we were in AR by saying, “So you got yourself a BARrrrrrr!”  

I told Pastor Steve as I dropped them off at the car rental place at the airport, "You know brother, you just had to pull the Bigger and Better Texas thing didn’t you!  You couldn’t just come through Arkansas and hit a deer like everyone else. You just had to come through Arkansas and hit a BARrrrrrr!" Ha,ha,ha!   I was still laughing as they drove off.

We are three weeks out from Peru and the emails from the ladies there just keep coming!  It is so exciting to see how God moved!  I want to encourage all of you who are reading this blog and have a missionary friend in a foreign country, and believe they could use a Pure Joy Retreat, get them to the blog and have them contact me. 

We are praying about and looking forward to where God is leading us next!

Love you guys!

His,
Vickie

No comments: