Tuesday, November 24, 2009

P.S. The rest of the story...

So, at the Global Impact Conference at Central Baptist Church in Jonesboro, all the missionaries set their booths up and display pictures, brochures, information, etc. to let the church family know about their ministry. Usually two different missions organizations share a long rectangular table. On Sunday after church we were supposed to be standing out in front of our booths. As I am standing there a man comes up to me and introduces himself. Then he says I want to donate a heifer to your ministry. This ministry and I pointed to the Pure Joy International heading? Yes, he said. A heifer, I said? Yes, a heifer, he replied, you know a cow?

I said,oh yeah, I know what a heifer is. Well, he said, I want to donate it to your ministry. As I’m standing there thinking what will I do with a cow, Wendy walks up. I said, oh, let me introduce you to our Public Relations (PR) person for our ministry. Wendy I said, this man wants to donate a cow to us. A cow, she asked? Yes, a cow I said. Wendy looks at the gentleman and says, is it processed? No, it is a live cow, he replies. Hmmmm - you can see both Wendy and my brains trying to figure out how we can receive this gift for our ministry and turn it into funds. Then Wendy says so it’s not processed? The man says no, but I’ll go ahead and pay to have it processed for you. Great I’m thinking. Now we have the cow cut up in all these packages -- now what do we do with it. Then I said, I guess we can have a raffle and sell chances on the meat. The man looks at us and says yeah if you want to. You can probably get about $600 for it even though he is looking at us both like we are really, really, bleached blonde. Then the light bulb goes off in my head and I say, are you sure you're not wanting to give this to The Kings Ranch (the missions group next to us). Yeah he said isn’t that you? No, we are with Pure Joy International. He said I thought all this was the same. No sir I said. Yes I want to donate a heifer to The Kings Ranch. Since the people from that table weren’t there at the time I got his name and promised to let them know.

I can’t even tell you how hard we all laughed about that interaction. Finally he could admit he thought we were a little crazy! I told him later that I thought I should at least get a steak dinner out of this deal some day! Who says missions isn’t fun!!!

His,
vickie

No comments: