Monday, April 20, 2020

YOU ARE MY REFUGE…

The Webster dictionary defines “refuge” as a condition of being safe or sheltered from pursuit, danger, or trouble. In 1 Samuel 22:1 we find David hunkered down in a cave in Adullam. Why? So, he could take “refuge” from Saul and his army that were in pursuit of him. Psalm 142, written at this time by David, is an incredible prayer. As you read this Psalm consider, David is experiencing emotions similar to what you or I would be. He probably has made his way as far back against the back-cave wall as possible, his heart is probably racing and before he gives room to total fear, he runs to his ultimate “refuge”, the LORD. Picture this intimate conversation (prayer) in your mind as he is hiding, fearful, and feeling somewhat hopeless.

Psalms 142:1-7 (NKJV)
 I cry out to the LORD with my voice; With my voice to the LORD I make my supplication.
I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare before Him my trouble.

When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, Then You knew my path. In the way in which I walk, they have secretly set a snare for me.

Look on my right hand and see, for there is no one who acknowledges me; Refuge has failed me; No one cares for my soul.

I cried out to You, O LORD: I said, "You are my refuge, My portion in the land of the living.
Attend to my cry, For I am brought very low; Deliver me from my persecutors, for they are stronger than I.

Bring my soul out of prison, That I may praise Your name; The righteous shall surround me, For You shall deal bountifully with me."

Instead of marinating in fear David runs to the LORD. He says… I cry out to you with my voice. It’s me LORD! My voice! Here is what is going on, I’m in some big trouble here!

It is an understatement to say there is a lot going on in our world today. But, can I encourage you, if you are at the back of the cave, you have lost your job, finances are tight, you have loved ones that contacted Covid-19, or lost loved ones to Covid-19, or have lost loved ones and not been able to attend their funeral, have a house of kids and you are not a home school parent,  and you are going stir crazy being isolated from family and friends, etc., etc.
Please remember this, the cave isn’t your ultimate refuge, God is. Cry out to him, tell him your troubles, believe He cares and hears you.

Finding my refuge in Him,
Vickie

No comments: