Monday, March 31, 2014

Tanzania Is Full ....

The Tanzania retreat is full  - we have 50 women missionaries registered and we have gone to our waiting list.  Now the process of solidifying the team takes place.  Please pray as these women diligently seek God’s heart to know that He has called them to Tanzania for such a time as this,  this group of missionary women, and this team.  We want God's BEST for the missionary women in Tanzania.
 
As we prepare to leave the country again I begin to think about the things God wants to accomplish while we are gone.  Remember, while life is difficult for our missionaries at times and for some more than others, their problems are similar to the things we ourselves may have to deal with as well.  They don't always have the resources for help that we do.  Not that I think we in the church are very good about utilizing our resources before we slide completely off the plate  --  but then, what do I know..ha,ha,ha.

One day, two monks were walking through the countryside. They were on their way to another village to help bring in the crops. As they walked, they spied an old woman sitting at the edge of a river. She was upset because there was no bridge, and she could not get across on her own. The first monk kindly offered, "We will carry you across if you would like."  "Thank you," she said gratefully, accepting their help.  So the two men joined hands, lifted her between them and carried her across the river. When they got to the other side, they set her down, and she went on her way.  
After they had walked another mile or so, the second monk began to complain. "Look at my clothes," he said. "They are filthy from carrying that woman across the river. And my back still hurts from lifting her. I can feel it getting stiff." The first monk just smiled and nodded his head.
A few more miles up the road, the second monk griped again, "My back is hurting me so badly, and it is all because we had to carry that silly woman across the river! I cannot go any farther because of the pain." The first monk looked down at his partner, now lying on the ground, moaning. "Have you wondered why I am not complaining?" he asked." Your back hurts because you are still carrying the woman. But I set her down five miles ago."  

That is what many of us are like in dealing with our families. We are that second monk who cannot let go. We hold the pain of the past over our loved ones' heads like a club, or we remind them every once in a while, when we want to get the upper hand, of the burden we still carry because of something they did years ago.  - Dr. Anthony T. Evans shared this story in his book Guiding Your Family in a Misguided World.

Such a simple but powerful principle is revealed in the story above.  We are all susceptible to the sin of bitterness.  In fact, the enemy loves it when he can take us to this point regarding another person whether it be a spouse, child, family, friend, co-worker, church member, etc.  Bitterness destroys you and has the potential to harm others around you.  I've personally seen the depths bitterness can take people to in my counseling ministry over the years.  I have also been on the cusp of it one time so deeply that I literally lay flat out on the floor asking God to please not allow my heart to become bitter to the point of destroying others and myself with the venom of it.  I asked God to take the hurt that was put there by someone else and replace it with grace towards the offender.  I also asked for forgiveness and grace for the times I have been the offender. He answered that prayer. Why? Because it lined up with His Word.  He tells us to forgive and we will be forgiven.  I really believe since that day over 14 years ago that God has continually graced me with a heart attitude of forgiveness towards others.  It may take me a while to get there sometimes but He does get me there and I'm so thankful.

Are you still carrying somebody and/or bodies like the second monk?  Set them down before it kills you! Ask God to soften your heart!  Never forget.....the enemy wants to destroy your heart for God.  Bitterness will accomplish this above everything else.

Love you all,

His,
Vickie


No comments: