Wednesday, November 20, 2013

God is Infinite...

Infinite........the realm of God has no limits or bounds whatsoever. 

Webster defines "infinite" in the following way: (1) limitless or endless in space, extent, or size, impossible to measure or calculate.  The synonyms are:  boundless, unbounded, unlimited, limitless, never-ending, interminable…

Please pause for a moment and consider this truth of God’s character.  Wow!  How Great is our God!!!  HE CANNOT BE CONTAINED! 

King Solomon understood this when he stated:

6 But who is able to build him a house, since heaven, even highest heaven, cannot contain him? Who am I to build a house for him, except as a place to make offerings before him?
2 Chronicles 2:6 (ESV)

Job understood this when he was going through his sufferings:

26 Behold, God is great, and we know him not; the number of his years is unsearchable.
Job 36:26 (ESV)

King David reveals his understanding of our infinite Great God who owns and controls everything and needs nothing from us but yet allows King David the privilege of providing the materials for Solomon to build the temple:

14 “But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able thus to offer willingly? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you.  15 For we are strangers before you and sojourners, as all our fathers were. Our days on the earth are like a shadow, and there is no abiding. 16  O LORD our God, all this abundance that we have provided for building you a house for your holy name comes from your hand and is all your own. 17 I know, my God, that you test the heart and have pleasure in uprightness. In the uprightness of my heart I have freely offered all these things, and now I have seen your people, who are present here, offering freely and joyously to you. 18 O LORD, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, our fathers, keep forever such purposes and thoughts in the hearts of your people, and direct their hearts toward you.
1 Chronicles 29:14-18 (ESV)

We also see David writing of God infiniteness in Psalms 139:7-12 (ESV):

7” Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
  If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10  even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “’Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,”
1  even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.’”

This is so powerful for us to understand.  He is infinite in all His character.  That means there are no limits and/or bounds to His goodness, presence, knowledge, power, love, mercy, holiness, judgment, wrath, grace, wisdom, truth….    

The next time you become discouraged because you are limited by time, space, or circumstances,  look up and seek the counsel of the One who isn't. 

Remember keep vertical vision, not horizontal!

Love you all!

His,
Vickie

No comments: