Monday, December 12, 2011

My Savior's Not a Baby...

Last week I received the following writing from a dear friend who is also one of our Costa Rica team members from this past summer.  As I read it I thought, “This is so true, this is good.”   I asked her permission to share it with you this week.  It has not been edited in detail. Enjoy and ponder…                 

                              My Savior's Not a Baby

If Christmas is Jesus' birthday, the birthday of a King,
My mind keeps tossing and turning over what present I should bring.
Maybe a blankie, some teething gel, or perhaps a rattle… maybe,
Because it seems to me that every Christmas we pretend that He’s a baby.
I’ve heard I could give Him my talents, my time, or even a song,
But, aren’t those the very things I should be giving Him all along?
If I passionately love Him then the gift that I should bring,
Shouldn’t be an easy gift that doesn’t cost me anything.

Because my Savior’s not a baby, He’s the risen King of Kings,
And I think on this Christmas He might want some other things.
Perhaps He wants my anger and that seed of bitterness,
Or the hurt I’m holding deep inside where no one else would guess.
Maybe He wants my loneliness or the addictions I hold tight.
Perhaps He wants the tears I’ve cried and the wrongs I’ve not made right.
My worry, my shame, and my heart so prideful and so wild,
They’re not exactly gifts you bring to lay before a child.
 
But my Savior's not a baby, He is Jesus, Immanuel,
Who battled Satan on his turf and conquered death and Hell.
He didn’t save my life just to leave me in my sin,
He freed me from my shackles and gave me joy again.
He died to take my anger and He suffered in my place,
To heal my broken, tattered heart and offer me His grace.
The part that takes my breath away, the amazing part you see,
If I were the only one, He would have done it just for me.

You see, my Savior's not a baby, He’s Creator of Heaven and Earth,
Who set aside His Godhood to experience human birth.
It’s not about me or the gifts that I could bring,
It’s about a Marvelous Savior who gave me everything.
He understands my heart and the problems that I face,
And He loves me far too much to settle for second place.
An Infinite, Incredible God who hears me when I pray,
How could I not fall to my knees and praise Him every day.

Praise God He’s not a Baby; He’s sitting at God’s right hand,
He’s both God and Man. He’s the Risen Lord.  I hope you understand,
I’m not saying we can’t remember, that we shouldn’t celebrate His birth,
And spread the story angels proclaimed all throughout the Earth.
The prophecies of old fulfilled, set the stage for God’s great plan,
So let's remember baby Jesus' birth, but worship the Savior of man.
So this Christmas I think I‘ll give Him every hidden, dirty part,
And accept His peace, His healing, and a clean and softened heart.

                                                                        Kathleen Jones - 2011

His,
Vickie

No comments: