Thursday, June 18, 2009

Pondering Holiness...

Vickie was here in Jonesboro last week and I shared with her my concern about the shortage of holiness in our world today, even in the church. I truly want to be holy; I want to live a holy life. How do I do that? We sing a song in corporate worship sometimes, “holiness, holiness, is what I long for; holiness, is what I need; holiness, holiness is what you want from me”. (Jeff tells me the name of the song is “Take My Life” in case you’re interested) I am a pleaser by nature. I want everyone to be happy with me. I’ve lived many of my 45 years pursuing approval from family, teachers, church members, and at times maybe even God?! It is exhausting! Through the 20 plus years I’ve served with my husband in ministry, I’ve learned that it’s impossible to please everyone, Jesus didn’t even do it – He didn’t try. There’s peace and rest in that. So, how about holiness then – can it be achieved? Our worship team at church is doing a book study called “The Way of a Worshiper: Discover the secret to friendship with God” by Buddy Owens. Interestingly enough, Mr. Owens addressed holiness in this book. “But holiness is not what God wants from you. Holiness is what God wants for you. You cannot make yourself holy. Only God can make you holy... Holiness is God’s gift of grace. The only way to get holiness is to surrender to it.”

“I am the Lord, who makes you holy.” Exodus 31:13
“I am the Lord, who makes you holy.” Leviticus 20:8
“I am the Lord, who makes you holy.” Leviticus 22:32

Mr. Owens goes on to say, “God doesn’t want our holiness – He wants His holiness in us.”

My son Wade just used his iphone to look up the definition of “holy” for me (!) Holy is defined as an adjective meaning “belonging to or derived from or associated with a divine power”. So, I’m thinking the answer to my question of can holiness be achieved is YES! His holiness is in me. My flesh and will can choose not to reflect His holiness, but it’s there. Thank you Jesus for making me holy! Help me to continually reflect Your holiness.

Please continue to pray for Pure Joy. God is opening many doors and beginning to solidify plans for the Fall of ’09 and ’10. He is good and He is holy!

Because of Jesus,

Wendy Stotts

No comments: