Monday, April 13, 2009

Yes, "The Hills are Alive"...

Vickie asked me to write the blog today - so here goes -

My husband surprised me at Christmas by telling me, (through a very creative video produced by our oldest son Wade), that for our 20th wedding anniversary in March, we would be going to Salzburg, Austria. Now for those of you who are familiar with my all-time favorite movie, "The Sound of Music", you know exactly why I would be excited about going to Salzburg, Austria. The movie was filmed there in 1964 - the year I was born. I grew up singing the songs from the movie and can pretty much say every line of the script. There's just something special about it. Of course the beautiful songs, the scenery, the romance, the drama, the laughter, and not one bad word, or one hint of immorality. Our eight year old daughter, Melody, watched the whole movie with me yesterday afternoon and I think she's hooked now!

Well, I'm happy to report that Salzburg was amazingly beautiful in real life!!! As we flew over the snow-capped Swiss Alps, I was overwhelmed with the glory of God! Nature is very often my reminder of how big God is! As we landed in the middle of those mountains and started our sightseeing, I was constantly amazed by the beauty and the history of the city. We saw buildings constructed in the year 600!!!! What - that is 1000 years before our country was discovered! One of the churches we toured was built in 600. It was the Nonnberg Abbey which was the site where the Von Trapp family hid from the Nazis at the end of the movie. As the family hid behind the grave markers and the "Reverend Mother" locked the gate behind them, she reminded Maria that they would not be alone in their journey through the mountains to escape Captain Von Trapp's being forced to serve under Adolph Hitler. She said "I will lift up my eyes to the hills . . . from where shall my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1-2.

Whatever you face today - remember "The Hills are Alive" - "He is alive"!!!

Wendy,
Pure Joy Ministry Staff

No comments: