Monday, October 13, 2014

Tanzania Team Member Shares….

If you remember several months ago I had a team member share about her coming on board for the Tanzania trip. Well, here is another one of our team members sharing her story of coming on board! And by the way…. as of this blog we only lack the sponsorship of 9 more missionary women. Thank you all so much for coming to the plate to knock it out of the park on their behalf!!!!

I love you guys!

His,
Vickie

“Yes!” There was not a moment of hesitation when asked about joining Pure Joy for a trip to Africa this Fall. I did, appropriately, agree to pray about it before giving my final answer. But the Lord knew my heart and He was gracious to honor my desires. He approved!

I had just turned in my resignation to my boss after eight years of working at my kids’ school, in a great work environment, with people I love and a schedule guaranteed to match that of my kids’. I had no logical reason to leave; I just knew it was time, and it was a step of faith. The offer to participate in a Pure Joy trip spoke volumes to me, as the Lord confirmed that He has a plan for me and He will use me apart from my job.

The offer also came in the midst of a rough few months. I had just stood with my precious daddy as the Lord ushered him into heaven; we sold our house, sorted through and packed up what seemed a lifetime of memories, and moved into a condominium with the youngest two of our five children; our second child graduated from college and moved away for good; and I was leaving my job. The Lord knew….

As far back as I can remember, I have admired the work of missionaries. Not too long ago, my husband and I intentionally pursued the possibility of serving in an Asian nation, but it was not the Lord’s will. Yet each time I would hear about a Pure Joy trip through our church I was drawn more and more to it, until it was not just a hope, but a craving in my heart. I wanted to go! The Lord did not approve of my first opportunity, a trip to Mongolia last year, but this year--THIS YEAR-- I get to join the trip to Tanzania!


What an honor! What a privilege!! The truth is, I am not gifted to be a missionary. I have no training, no skill sets, no experience to prepare me for living in a foreign land to teach and share the Truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Gifts and talents are not something I possess in abundance. But-- I can encourage people.  I can smile, hug, and talk with people. And here the Lord is, giving me the chance to give of myself to women who spend every day giving and serving and loving and teaching… in a foreign culture for the sake of Christ. I get to spend this retreat giving back to them, loving on them, serving them, worshipping with them! I get to glean from their wisdom, pray for their needs, and help them find a few days of retreat from their missionary lives of daily serving others. ME. I get to do that! In Tanzania. Next month. YES!!!!

No comments: