Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Costa Rica Day 3

Well, the team was up and at it this morning (Monday) early as we traveled the Pan-American Highway toward the city of Alajuela. The sites along the way were beautiful as we saw the lushness of the land; the ferns and flowers were unbelievable. We also hiked up to the site of the Poas Volcano. It was a good hike and a great opportunity to see the Majesty of God. It was awesome!

We have nicknamed Shawna and Nate’s little one to be, Baby Tico.   When we were in Ecuador several years ago we nicknamed one of our team members little one to be, Baby Quito. Nate I hope you are ok with that for now. Ha,ha,

When we left the Volcano we went to the Doka Coffee plantation. It was of course one of my personal favorites!  We also had lunch there on the coffee plantation. It was really great! We then traveled through Grecia and into Sarchi to do a little bit of shopping. Most of us held out for the ‘Market’ place in the morning (Tuesday) so we could do a little bartering. 

Tonight several of us are working on our teaching messages. The rest are visiting in the hallways because I can hear them!  Ha,ha,ha

Tomorrow morning will be the teams last few hours to shop and look around before we start setting up for the retreat to begin on Wednesday.  Please pray as we organize and coordinate what has been prepared for the ladies this week!

By the way, the team members love looking at your blog comments. It is so good to know that each one of you is out there praying for us.  I’m sure the missionary women feel the same way, knowing that so many are praying for them.

His, Vickie

P.S. Some random things:
  • A squirrel jumped up on my hand and ate an almond today.
  • Baby Tico appears to have gained some weight the past couple of days. 
  • Heather demonstrated some ‘Zumba’ steps for the restaurant staff at Dakota coffee today.
  • We watched a man trim his hedge with a machete today.  Very interesting.
  • Russell shot a picture of every flower we passed today and we saw lots of beautiful flowers!
  • Watching 7 out of 12 people sleeping on a bus following a long day is an interesting sight. Do all of us breathe with our mouths open when asleep? Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha

5 comments:

Debbie Swart said...

Shawna is my neice and I like "Baby Tico"!! I'm specifically praying for Shawna, Norma and Jessica and then praying for all of you that it will be a week of great encouragement, fun, laughter and God's blessings!

P.S. to Vicki (I'm Kaye Harkness' big sister). Jeff & I have many dear friends at Antioch!

Baby Tico's Mom said...

Vickie -- are you saying I'm getting fat??? ;)

Beverly said...

So Baby Tico is growing, huh! Well I guess that's a good thing. :) Sounds like y'all are having fun and getting ready for a good retreat. I pray for y'all hard this morning as I was going to my other daughter's house. God bless!! Beverly F. (Shawna's mom)

Anonymous said...

Hey girls,
I'm so excited about all of the news on your trip thus far. You are in my old stomping ground, as we studied Spanish in Costa Rica for a year. It is a BEAUTIFUL country and I'm so glad you are getting to see much of it. Have you seen a Tico Sock? It is the original form of 'drip coffee', and I used one every day that I lived there. I still have one hanging on my wall.
Know I'm praying for all of you guys today especially as you begin your sweet time of encouragement.
MUCH love and MANY prayers!
Ruth McWhite

Kaye Harkness said...

Blessings today to each one of you gals and Baby Tico! Praying for you all!