Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Thoughts to ponder on Family...

“The family is the most basic unit of government. As the first community to which a person is attached and the first authority under which a person learns to live, the family establishes society’s most basic values.” CHARLES COLSON (1931–)

DWIGHT LYMAN MOODY (1837–1899) quoted the following… “I believe the family was established long before the church, and my duty is to my family first. I am not to neglect my family.”

I would like for you to look back at what Colson stated in his quote. As the first community to which a person is attached and the first authority under which a person learns to live; the family establishes society’s most basic values.

How many parents have a clue their home environment is the first time a child is exposed to community? Furthermore, how many parents truly understand how they teach, train-up, discipline and exercise authority in the home environment prepares the child to step out into the community of friends, church, school, activities, etc.

If you are the parent of a young child please ponder these truths. If your children are older and/or grown then we can’t go back and train them up. However, we can start speaking these truths into their lives so when they have families of their own, they will consider the consequences of not giving attention to these principles. Oh, the consequences? Look around you.

Deut 6:4-9
Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

God had strong words to say about family matters. Shouldn’t we?

His,
vickie

1 comment:

Jenny said...

This message came on a day when it was VERY hard to deal with. I think that I DO take my God given responsibilities as a parent very seriously, but I feel like a constant failure.

I listen and read the Word searching for answers on raising my children. Unfortunately, I think men who decided on the canon left out the book of "Rochel - The Terrible Two Year Old". Hmmm.... maybe it's in the Apocrypha. :-)

These days it seems like the 10-minutes I get to myself, all I do is lay flat on my face before God with "groanings too deep for words." (Rom 8:26)

How does one continue in the weariness of raising a family according to God's instructions when the instructions aren't very specific and the fruit is not seen?

Encouragement Please!!!