Those thoughts most likely trigger the emotion of fear. In fact, most of us have probably developed a belief system about quicksand based on that fear, which is, most people that get caught in quicksand do not make it out. But truth is, no-one has ever died from stepping into “quicksand”. I could not find one death due to quicksand drowning anywhere. That truth totally dispelled my fear of quicksand along with the following facts.
- It is impossible to become fully submerged in quicksand. (Meaning you as an individual.)
- Most quicksand is less than several feet deep.
- Humans are only half as dense as quicksand so; you could not sink much lower than your waist unless you struggle.
- Struggling causes you to sink more making it more difficult to get out. Depending on where you are circumstances could lead to dehydration, starvations, hyperthermia, sunstroke, and/or attacked by predators because you become more stuck.
- Stay calm.
- Get rid of all items that you are carrying because they will only cause you to sink deeper. Items, such as backpacks, hiking tools, etc.
- Lean back in quicksand and water will come in and fill the space allowing you to slowly begin to move your body towards the surface. If you can, grab a stick and wedge it behind your back and it will give you leverage till help gets there.
- If there is not help coming, then you can get out, but it will be a slow process and take a long time and all your strength.
You might be thinking right now, “Gee, Vickie thanks for the lesson on quicksand, that I will probably never be exposed to in my life!” Ha,ha,ha But...
Life can show up like quicksand sometimes. We have all been there, when you are going through your day and suddenly out of nowhere a situation occurs and you feel overwhelmed, stuck, or trapped. Then fear steps in and captures your thought and emotions. Everything in you wants to struggle free of those thoughts and feelings but, the more you struggle the worst they get, the deeper you sink into them. If we are being totally honest here, I suspect several of you are dealing with those thoughts and feelings even as you read this post. I do not know what your quicksand is right now, but I do know this, we can take some of those suggestions about how to get out of quicksand and apply spiritual truths.
How to get out of quicksand, spiritually speaking.
- Stay calm.
- Isaiah 41:10 …fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
- Psalm 34:4 …I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
- Get rid of things weighing you down.
- 1 Peter 5:6-7 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
- Lean back and trust Him.
- Isaiah 26:3 (ESV) You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.
- Psalm 40:2 (ESV) He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.
The last bullet of getting out of quicksand in real life says you can get out by yourself, but it will take a long time and drain you of all your strength. May I say to you that God “never” intended for us to do life alone and without Him. So, if you have stepped into a quicksand pit recently, please Trust Him and let others know, so, they can pray, lend an ear, give you a hand or just sit with you.