Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Same Kind of Different as Me….

One afternoon last week I came home to find my mom watching the movie Same Kind of Different as Me on Netflix. The movie is based on the book, which is based on a true story. I bought the book when it came out many years ago, but never read past the first couple of chapters. The movie was half over when I sat down to watch it. The story revolves around a struggling marriage, struggling father and adult child, and a kitchen for the homeless community… and a homeless man.

What part I saw of the movie was good. Slow moving but good. However, the ending of the moving was absolutely soooooooo powerful to me and such a reminder. A reminder that I think we could all benefit from as we head into the Christmas Season and the New Year. Before I comment on the reminder let me share with you the words at the end of the movie, spoken by Denver Moore, the homeless man, as he shared the eulogy at the funeral for Miss Debbie.

“I used to spend a lotta time worryin that I was different from other people, even from other homeless folks. Then, after I met Miss Debbie and Mr. Ron, I worried that I was so different from them that we wadn't ever gon' have no kind a' future. But I found out everybody's different - the same kind of different as me. We're all just regular folks walkin down the road God done set in front of us. The truth about it is, whether we is rich or poor or somethin in between, this earth ain't no final restin place. So, in a way, we is all homeless - just workin our way toward home.” Welcome home, Miss Debbie, welcome home.”

Did you catch the reminder? In a way we are all “homeless” as believers. Just working our way toward “Home.” So, as you celebrate or struggle and/or both through this Christmas and/or the New Year remember, Jesus came into this world to show us the way “Home.” Remember Denver Moore’s last statement about Miss Debbie? “Welcome home, Miss Debbie, welcome home.” Out of all the people in that church she was “home.” The rest of them were homeless. Dear ones, until we pass from this world into eternity may we begin to understand that we are living homeless… and being homeless is HARD!

1 Peter 2:11 (MSG)
Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul.

Homeless but His,
Vickie

Merry Christmas from the Staff, Board, and Advisors of Pure Joy International to you and yours!!

No comments: