Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Good Wednesday Morning to all you bloggers out there!

I know the blog is late getting out this week but if you get to know me you will understand that I can’t just write for the sake of writing.  I want to be able to share things with you that are from my heart.  The last couple of days my heart has been really heavy due to some of my counseling ministry and things people are going through that grieve my heart to the bone.  I didn’t want to grieve your hearts because I suspect some of you are already experiencing that in the circumstances of your life.  I wanted to try to write something uplifting but that didn’t seem to be coming to me either as I waited on the Lord for the words for the blog. (Yes, I believe He even cares about the things I put in this blog!)  Then this morning the answer came through an email from a dear friend.  She sent me the following story about her husband Roger and it is worth a smile, especially if you know that this man always has one of the most awesome gardens around and is kind enough to share with some of the rest of us.  Here was what she wrote me. Enjoy!
Love You All,
Vickie

I wanted to share a tale with you about Farmer Roger or maybe that should be Gardener Roger.

Once upon a time, in 2011, Farmer Roger (that sounds better) planted a garden and included cantaloupes.  The weather turned hot and dry and very little in the garden survived.  But being tenacious (ok he's not but that sounds good, too) Farmer Roger finally succeeded in getting two cantaloupe vines to grow.  One produced two cantaloupes and he watched them carefully, checking on them twice a day, and even breaking his cardinal rule to never water the garden, he watered these precious vines.  One day he decided it was time to pull one of the cantaloupes, but it wasn't just right, so he decided to wait one more day.  The next morning when he checked his two cantaloupes, one was completely missing.  Some varmint had taken his precious cantaloupe.  Well not to be outdone by a varmint, Farmer Roger took some wire and bent it in an arc and put it over the remaining cantaloupe, and then as a further measure to insure it would not be overripe, he covered the wire with weed blanket that lets in water but not bugs and varmints.

When he checked the next day, everything was fine.  The next day I heard him say, "Laura, come and look.  You won't believe this."  Being the dutiful wife I am (well most of the time) I went and looked and sure enough there was the evidence the varmint had outwitted him again.  Not being able to take the whole cantaloupe, the varmint had eaten half of it.  He entered through the end of the arc and got to the prize.  So learning his lesson and spotting another cantaloupe about to develop, he shut up both ends and placed the wire arc over the developing cantaloupe.  Only time will tell.  And after recalling these events I would have to say he is tenacious at least about gardening.

Now when I reflected on this I saw a spiritual meaning.  We can put our all into something but there is no guarantee that things will work out like we plan.  Maybe God just wants us to look after the cantaloupe but the end result has to be His plan and not ours.

Love you,
Laura

1 comment:

hotmail said...

Thanks for the informative. Fantastic blog. Congratulations!!!