Monday, November 29, 2010

Monkey see...

Two weekends ago I was helping my sister with a garage sale and a young mom with a 2 ½ to 3 year old daughter walked up. The mom was inside an area looking at some things and the little girl was within her sight but outside looking through a tub of toys, stuffed animals, little dolls, cars, plastic horses, etc. As I watched the little girl I became significantly amused. She would reach into the tub, bring out an item, and turn it over in her hands as if to check all sides top and bottom and then pause a second as if pondering. Then she would either throw it back in the tub as if to say “Nah” or carry it over to my sister to hold for when they checked out. I sat and watched this child go through this process over and over, again totally amused and chuckling at times. But then I realized what a “REAL LIFE” example of what we try to teach new moms and dads this situation provided……. “Young children model after your behaviors, not your words”. When they get older they have enough education to recognize some of your behaviors do not line up with your words. In this case it causes mistrust in the growing child and positions them to not know what to do in certain situations: “what you’ve told them” or “what you do”.

I wonder as we are in the throws of the Christmas season what you are telling them and modeling for them regarding the birth of our Savior. Do they get excited at Christmas because of the birth of Christ or because of the presents and gifts?

Monkey see, Monkey do...

His,
Vickie

No comments: