Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cultural Christian vs. Biblical Christian ...

In his book, “The Seven Seasons of a Man’s Life”, Patrick M. Morley makes the following observation about himself after a two year self-examination of his life, “I realized I had been living the life of a Cultural Christian, not a Biblical Christian. What I mean is that even though I believed in Jesus, there was nothing exceptional about my lifestyle that would recommend Him to others.”

What a powerful observation. What a question for us to ask ourselves. Do we as a Christian live a lifestyle that would recommend him to others? Hmmmm

For those of you who did and didn’t see the blog last week, I wanted you to see and/or be reminded of what I wrote. I hope you will and/or have considered the question.

This past week I read through a book titled “Seven Deadly Detours”. While I wasn’t in total agreement on everything the authored penned, I most certainly believe his over all premise is true. The book was published back in 1996 but the same basic issues are still on the table. He discussed how we as believers can become so overly involved in issues such as politics, squabbling over prayer in public schools, the homosexual agenda, shutting down abortion clinics, making Jesus a Right Winger, Christian Television, etc. that we are not available to do what He actually asked us to do…… “Share the Good News of the Gospel and Become like Him.” Which way are you moving forward? God’s Way and or are you living a life of Detours?

2 Corinthians 5:17-21
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 1that is, in Christ, God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

Matthew 28:16-20
Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

His,
vickie

No comments: