Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Yard Sale - NOT My Spiritual Gift!!

Ok, so granted you haven’t had a blog from me in over a week. Yes, Patty has been on me about it but to no avail because my focus has been on this Yard Sale thing. I realize as I type these words there are millions of you out there that absolutely think Yard Sales are the next best thing to grandma and apple pie. And I am happy about that for each of you. But...I don’t see it that way so much.

Truth is I am not a big shopper by nature. I am one of those get in the store get what I need and get out. It is almost as if it is an army maneuver. Along with that mentality therefore comes the inability to really understand the price of things. I get what works and get out!

So, when we decided to do our 1st Annual Pure Joy Yard Sale I did what any one with any working brain cells would do that shops like me……..I found someone else to be the leader of this operation. My precious friend Penny was the perfect person to lead us through this battle. She has been on a mission trip with us and is going with our team to Venezuela. But, most importantly she is a shopper. I’m telling you if shopping could be a spiritual gift that would be one of hers!!! She knows how to bargain shop and she knows the price of things. My mom and several other women came along side her and they began marking that stuff with all these different color dots and white stickers, etc. I am telling you it was a well executed Yard Sale!

Finally, Saturday came and with it the opportunity for us to pray in faith that God would not let one drop of water touch us that day even though we were surrounded by clouds, thunder and lighting and the storm that has fallen upon us hours earlier knocking the electricity out for many. He granted us favor and we had a great turn out and made enough money to support 5 of our missionaries that will be attending the Venezuela retreat in October!

Granted we did have a few wounded warriors when it was all over Saturday because a person can only bend and lift things so many times. But, all made it to worship yesterday with smiles on their faces! I think they may have been wearing masks. Hmmmmm

His,
vickie

No comments: