Sunday, November 4, 2007

The One Left Behind

My name is Melinda Emerson. I live in Jonesboro, Arkansas, and became acquainted with Vickie and Pure Joy in the fall of 2005 preparing for a retreat in Jordan.

I am a doodler by trade and design Molly graphics by assignment. When I was called about joining the Quito team this past summer, I was in the throes of my middle son’s wedding preparations (my husband, Steve, and I have 3 sons). The day after the wedding our oldest son left for seminary in Louisville, KY, and 2 weeks later our youngest left for college.

In the midst of all this, I was emailing back and forth with Vickie on theme ideas … and a picture to help communicate it before we settled on the final picture. I was continuing to pray about God’s will in my going on the trip … My first reaction to any mission trip (especially a Pure joy retreat) is YES, FUN … but I wanted to be sure that it was God’s idea, not mine. I always make plans to GO until God says STOP.

Steve and I had been training to hike the Grand Canyon for the last 7 months. We took off down the mountain on September 9 and it was amazing. Talk about praying without ceasing. I talked to God for three days while living in His glorious creation! I couldn’t wait to share this adventure with the ladies in Quito! We camped out under the stars two nights and on the third day made our way out of the canyon. (let me preface this to say I am not an outdoorsy type of gal and the only tent experience I had was when Steve popped it up in our bathroom and said, “can you fit?”) So this was huge for me.

We went to find something to eat and headed out for a visit with my family in Durango, Colorado. We made one last stop in the park to take a picture and as I walked across the parking lot I slipped on a rock and fell … and broke 4 bones in my foot! Well, talk about a prayer answered with no doubts. But as I talked to God about it all – my disappointment, etc – I felt such a peace. I knew it was not my time.

I continued to work on the art work for the trip and as I set with my right foot in a cast, unable to drive, I worked over the list of ladies who would be attending the retreat. I prayed for each one and, even though I won’t see their faces, I love their hearts.

While praying with the Jonesboro team this week, I was reminded of Moses and how Aaron and Hur held up his arms when he was too tired and the battle was raging. It is the responsibility of all of us staying behind to continue to lift the arms of these ladies going on the mission… they will be tired but the battle will be won!

Most of the team has been at our home this weekend, packing the crates for the trip. Our playroom looks like a store with all the presents and treats so many of you have donated. The missionary women are going to be so excited to see gifts picked out especially for them! Thank you for your generosity. The team will return here next Sunday for their last night before leaving on Monday. Pray for them that they get lots of rest this week because the next will be busy.

I almost feel like Moses when he stood on Mount Nebo (where we actually got to stand in 2006) and couldn’t go into the Promised Land. God is good … and I’m learning to “Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him” Psalm 37:7

Thanks for letting me share my heart…

No comments: